Sunday, July 17, 2016

Final Reflection - Sarah Peer



Before leaving for the Dominican Republic I had no idea what to expect. I knew it was going to be a great opportunity for me to experience a new culture, food, traditions, and much more. What I did not realize were the friendships I would be making and the memories I will cherish forever.  
            
 The Dominican’s know how to cook delicious food! I’m so glad the trip allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and to try something different. Even if we did have rice, beans, and chicken most of the meals, I could not get enough of it. Who knew plantains could be caramelized, wrapped in bacon, raw in syrup, and smashed? I don’t think I would have touched plantains if it wasn’t for the trip. My favorite dish that we had in Punta Cana was yucca. I am bringing back some recipes and planning on making a Dominican meal with my family. My carry-on suitcase on the way back mainly consisted of Dominican coffee requested by my parents (I think we might need more already). 

 The day camp was one thing truly unforgettable. The connections we made in the matter of two days between the kids were incredible. It was really inspiring how the children tried to communicate with us through hand signals. They wanted to talk to us as much as we wanted to talk to them. I will never forget the smiling faces on the Dominican day campers when we were doing crafts and going to the beach. I quickly learned that I needed to step up as a leader in order for the kids to have a fantastic time.
           
I would have never imagined that I could become such good friends with people in one week. From the Dominican teens to the Alleghany 4-H group, we all bonded like we knew each other for our whole lives. The teens were the nicest and most spontaneous people I have ever met. There was never a dull moment with them. I am so grateful that the Dominican teens were with us that week to help us communicate with everyone. I will always remember the laughs and journeys between us.  At the end of the week we gathered each other’s social media accounts to keep in contact.
             
After looking back on the trip I have learned that not every great thing has a price tag on it. There are so many things that we take for granted. This trip helped me learn to appreciate the small things in life. It would not have been possible without our outstanding leaders and parents.   

Sarah Peer, Shenandoah County  


No comments:

Post a Comment